MAMMOTH LAKES HOUSING, INC.
Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, August 1, 2011
Mammoth Lakes Housing Conference Room
587 Old Mammoth Rd.
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
Members present: Bill Taylor, Dave Wilbrecht, Kirk Stapp, and Rick Wood
Members absent: Jim Smith for Rusty Gregory, Larry Johnston
Staff present: Jennifer Halferty, Pam Hennarty
III. Public Comments
No public comment was given.
IV. Approval of Minutes from the July 7, 2010 BOD Meeting
Minutes were approved as corrected. Motion made by Bill Taylor and second by Rick Wood. Dave Wilbrecht abstained for a 3-0 vote.
V. Review and Approval of Town of Mammoth Lakes – MLH Annual Contract
Since the last meeting the Town has accepted a thirty day notice of non-renewal and cancellation of the contract. This is a result of the MLLA settlement talks and their Stay Agreement with the Town requiring all contract have such a clause. Kirk Stapp motioned to approve the contract as verbally presented, Bill second with all in favor for a 4-0 vote.
VI. Board of Directors Make-up Discussion
The Board discussed the make-up of the MLH board as a result of a member’s resignation several months ago. Bill feels it’s important to have a representative from the demographic which MLH serves. Rich suggested Violet Martin a resource in seeking out such a person. Rick will be following-up with her on the matter.
Dave expressed his concern on the role he plays on the Board representing the Town and then serving MLH. Bill expressed his understanding and that he doesn’t see any economic conflicts. Dave and Rick’s role is to represent the Town in their respective capacities within the Town government. Dave is going to follow-up with The Town’s counsel.
VII. Review of Fiscal Year 2010-2011 Fourth Quarter Draft Financial Statement
Review of statements and discussion only.
VIII. Board Member Reports
Rick informed the Board of the proposed stimulus package coming before the Town Council.
IX. Executive Director’s Report
• Staff has completed the State required annual and quarterly reporting for all state and federal grants.
• MLH summer intern, Seth Weiss will be leaving the organization in the coming week. He was a great help over the summer and his Spanish language skills will be a great loss.
• Working with two first-time homebuyers applicants in Mono County.
• The Town is not willing to use the reserved Measure A housing funds to pay back MLH for the buy-down of deed restricted units at Aspen Village unless that amount is deducted from our 2011/2012 contract amount. Dave will follow-up on the possibility of being reimbursed from the Town’s Housing Trust Fund.
b. STAR Apartment Remodel Update
• The apartments are in the demo phase with asbestos already removed. The electrical and plumbing are not as good as hoped thereby increasing the cost of the remodel beyond the amount of the grant. Bill motioned to request $35,000 of the Housing Trust Fund from the Town for the purposes of rehabilitating the Star Apartments. Kirk seconded the motion with all in favor for a 4-0 vote.
c. Aspen Village Sales Updates
• One unit fell out of escrow and another unit closed at the end of July. Kirk Stapp is purchasing one of the two remaining units.
X. Pursuant to Government Code Section 24956.8, the Board will hold a closed session to discuss property negotiations- Multiple Properties
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION
No action was taken.