MAMMOTH LAKES HOUSING, INC.
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Mammoth Lakes Housing Conference Room
587 Old Mammoth Rd.
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
MEMBERS: Bill Taylor, Byng Hunt, Jim Smith for Rusty Gregory, Kirk Stapp, Neil McCarroll, Rob Clark, and Sandra Facincani
STAFF: Pam Hennarty, Jennifer Halferty
PUBLIC: Leigh Gaasch
III. Public Comments
Lee Gaasch spoke to the need for a district plan to be performed in the Sierra Valley Site prior to any placement of off-site workforce housing as a result of the Snowcreek VIII development in her neighborhood.
IV. Approval of Minutes from the May 14, 2009 BOD Meeting- Minutes Attached
Minutes approved with corrections. Bill Taylor motioned, Jim Smith seconded, approved 7-0 vote.
V. Agency Review
a. Executive Director’s Report
i. Performance Goals Matrix
• Holding the CDBG Public Hearing for City of Bishop application.
• Reviewing Housing Ordinance with the subcommittee which will have an impact on the Strategy therefore the Strategy is on hold for now
• Advertising the Administrative Assistant position
• Pam took part in the Mountain Resort Housing Coalition in Salt Lake City this past month. The group plans to work towards securing programs specific to resort community’s needs which tend to be for higher income earners than normal within typical housing programs. This is do in large part to the higher than normal costs of housing in these regions
• Assisting Alpine County with their Housing Element Update. Bill Taylor may have the contract with the County and will subcontract with MLH for certain tasks.
• Pam is waiting to hear from TCAC when their new training courses for Property Management certification will be available.
ii. Mono County Housing Element Participation
• Continued work on the County’s HEU
• Byng Hunt, announced that the County will be applying for $600,000 in Rehab/Down Payment Assistance via their CDBG General Allocation Application
• Byng Hunt requested that an agenda item for the Board members to present reports be added to MLH ongoing agendas
VI. Consideration and Recommendation to Town of Mammoth Lakes for renewal of MLH/Town Agreement – Continued from May meeting.
Bill requested that this be on the June 17 Town Council agenda to which Rob responded that wasn’t’ possible but thought it would be on the July 1 agenda. Bill noted that there is some necessary correction to the Agreement on the dates in the fourth paragraph of Recitals. Byng inquired about the process for billable hours, if they changed on an annual basis. Pam stated that they can but aren’t this year. Bill recommended the Board recommend this Agreement to Town council, Byng seconded with all in favor for a 7-0 vote.
VII. Review of Third Quarter Financial Statements – Continued from May meeting.
Board reviewed the statements and acknowledged the costs savings performed in this budget years while the revenues remained largely intact.
VIII. Review of Draft 2009-2010 Budget – Continued from May meeting.
Board member Jim Smith requested that instead of our standard proposed budget year vs. current budget review we prepare a proposed budget vs. current budget actual. No action taken.
IX. Discuss Board Policies for Ex Parte Communications and Negotiation Authority – Continued from May meeting.
Due to Bill’s experience on another Board he brought this topic up to be sure members are aware and aren’t making deals/comments with developers. Only the Executive Director is authorized to negotiate unless the Board appoints members to do such.
At this time Leigh Gaasch spoke to her concerns and those persons that have expressed concerns to her over the affordable housing tenants and homeowners with regard to the value of their automobiles and their income. Executive Director Pam informed Ms. Gaasch that renters have to certify their income on an annual basis to qualify for the affordable housing apartments. Homeowners are certified annually to verify their home is their primary residence but their income is not. MLH cannot and will not ask owners to sell their homes if their income improves.
Additionally Ms. Gaasch asked that MLH do something about the street parking of the workforce housing occupants. The Board pointed out that the Town of Mammoth Lakes has an ordinance that does allow street side parking in the summer months and that the HOA/Management could not regulate beyond their property. Ms. Gaasch is concerned about the amount of stuff in the garages of the owners thereby prohibiting the parking of ones vehicle in their garage. Bill pointed out that the HOA may be able to get assistance from the Town on this matter due to their ordinance. The Board did request that MLH staff verbally present to the HOA that the BOARD has received a complaint on the use of street parking, and concerns over how on-site parking is managed.
X. Pursuant to Government Code Section 24956.8, the Board will hold a closed session to discuss property negotiations- Multiple Properties
No action taken
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION