August 27, 2019
Mammoth Lakes Housing is Hiring:
Part-Time Latino Housing Advocacy Group Leader & Administrative Specialist
Guided by the Executive Director of Mammoth Lakes Housing and in coordination with the Mono County Department of Behavioral Health, the part-time employee who will hold this new position will work to convene a broad base of members to a Latino Housing Advocacy Group. The goals of this group will be to promote to housing justice, to participate in local affordable housing planning processes, and to strengthen housing advocacy in Mono County.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
1. Latino Housing Advocacy Group (40%)
a. Actively Participate in and Develop the Advocacy Group’s Organizational Structure, including:
- Research and attend relevant tenant organizing trainings.
- Design deliverables and target goals in coordination with Mono County Behavioral Health and Mammoth Lakes Housing.
- Preliminarily develop a mission/vision.
- Participate in and prepare members to facilitate regular Advocacy Group meetings in both English and Spanish.
- Provide monthly narratives and statistical reports on work accomplished and current issues and opportunities during joint MLH-MCBH staff meetings.
- Develop a long-term System Sustainability Plan for the Group’s sustainability.
- Develop and maintain a database of community contacts interested in general tenants’ rights and housing advocacy.
b. Conduct Effective Outreach and Base-Building Work:
- Develop an Outreach Plan that includes the geographic area of Mono County and members of the Latino community who are homeless or unstably housed, including those with mental illness.
- Recruit members using various and creative methods, keep accurate records, and effectively meet goals to turn-out Advocacy Group members to key actions and events.
- Hold regular meetings of the Group to collaboratively work on target goals, provide information about upcoming community events, and to provide opportunities for storytelling and community-building.
- Advocate for Spanish language interpretation and translation of key housing and planning meetings.
- Create and facilitate regular community workshops in both English and Spanish that provide information on housing rights, laws and processes, and other relevant or requested topics.
- Seek out training and learning opportunities for Advocacy Group members and the community at large.
c. Leadership Development:
- The organizer will constantly work to develop the skills and capacity of Advocacy Group members through informal and formal leadership development work.
- The organizer will work to encourage participation and a sense of ownership among members.
- The organizer will teach community leaders how to facilitate meetings, make flyers, write letters, run press conferences, meet with their landlords, and lobby for their needs.
- Attend, participate, and steward members to attend and participate in local meetings regarding housing including Town of Mammoth Lakes Town Council and Planning & Economic Development Commission, Mono County Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission, Mammoth Lakes Housing Board of Director’s meetings, and others as appropriate.
2. MLH Office Administration Support (60%)
a. Provide general office support to Mammoth Lakes Housing including answering phones and taking messages, application in-take, outreach and marketing, etc. as needed.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS: This can be either an entry level or a mid-level position. Responsibilities will depend on the selected candidate’s experience. We are looking for someone who is committed to social justice, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change. The ideal candidate will have the ability to communicate with, listen to, and motivate people from diverse backgrounds to action through both written and verbal messages. Must be computer literate and able to work nights and weekends as necessary. English/Spanish bilingual written and verbal fluency required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS OFFERED: This is a part-time position, estimated to be approximately 15-20 hours per week at an hourly rate between $16-$20, dependent upon qualifications and relevant experience. This position is funded for a minimum of one year and is a great opportunity for professional development.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, résumé and list of three references to Patricia Robertson at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at 587 Old Mammoth Road Suite #4, Mammoth Lakes, CA or mail to PO Box 260, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546.